How Can This Be Free?

First, I want to apologize to anyone who has written me or left a comment and it went unanswered. I just found hundreds of messages in my spam folder. I don’t know why some of my wordpress comments go to spam and others don’t. I’m trying to go through them now, so that’s why some of you are just getting a response from me. Normally I’m great at getting back to people right away. I don’t like to let things back up! Below is something I posted on facebook yesterday. I wanted to share it with you too. Someone questioned how this site could really be free.

How can this be free?

Part 1 – Stepping out of the boat

Why would I offer this for free? Let me tell you a piece of my story.

My husband and I have served the Lord overseas for more than 10 years. For several years we raised the money that we received monthly from our agency. When we came home on furlough, we spent each weekend in a different church, sharing our stories and hoping for financial support.

In 2008, we felt convicted to leave the system. We didn’t like it being such a business, a job. We thought serving the Lord should be 24/7/365, not a 40-hour week. My husband also felt like he was unequally yoked at his job teaching English. He didn’t like that they controlled his time.

So he left his job, and we left our agency. We wrote to all of our supporters and told them to send their money to orphans instead. We stepped out of the boat and onto the water. We were going to trust the Lord to provide, and we were pretty sure we would be tested to see if we really did trust Him.

Part 2 – The Test

We eventually ran out of money, but that’s when the miracles happened. We were trusting God to provide. We knew we were obeying, had always given very generously and had faith that His word was true. The bills were due the next day. A few people still sent us money from time to time, saying that the Lord had prompted them to give. We accepted their gifts. They would give through Paypal, and it would show up in our bank account under “pending balance.” With nothing pending in our bank account, we knew it would be at least three business days before money would be available, even if someone sent something that night.

Before bed, my husband decided to check the bank account one more time. And there it was. Our miracle. $1000 was in our available balance. It said it was a direct deposit. We had told no one of our need. My parents were the only ones with our bank account info, and they were traveling out of the country at the time and had nothing to do with it. $1000 was enough for the whole next month (We lived in a ghetto very cheaply.)

Part 3 – The Accidental Blogger

That same year our family learned about lapbooks from a friend of mine. She pointed out one that we got for $1. (This is also how we learned about Currclick.com.) I started designing lapbooks for my kids to make. My kids started designing lapbooks for themselves.

I had always posted family pictures online for our far away family and friends, and I would post pictures of our lapbooks to show the grandparents what the kids were doing for school. I started getting strangers showing up at my family page to see our lapbooks. (Google alerted them.) I felt strange having these strangers looking at my family photos, so I separated them and started posting our school pictures on a blog, Just Us.

I thought I could earn money by making lapbooks and selling them on Currclick.com.  I sent them a sample and they sent me a contract. Before I signed it, the Lord convicted me. I was impressed to not sell them but to give them away. So, I did. Giving away free lapbooks, I started building a following at my homeschool blog.

Part 4 – The Rest of the Story

There’s more of my story between then and now, but I guess that’s for another day. There was never a question of selling this curriculum. The Lord had already turned my heart on that issue, but I was making the site for my own children, and I didn’t want to have this whole curriculum and have only my children use it. I wanted to help others who needed to homeschool for free. From day one I wrote the assignments to be used by anyone, not just my family.

If you’ve been following along, it’s not hard to understand how I got started homeschooling for free. We are no longer in the same situation. My husband now has the perfect job teaching foreign languages to homeschool students online through Currclick.com. He works part time, sets his own hours and he LOVES foreign languages and has fun teaching.

But now I am committed to homeschooling for free. The first year I was putting together the curriculum, no one else was using it. When a few people did start using it, I added the donate button to the site. I knew I was offering something of value and that there would be people who would want to give.

So, hopefully you can see who I am and why I would offer this for free a little better now. I love giving. It makes me happy. I have learned to trust God to provide, so I don’t feel the need to build the curriculum into a business. It’s an encouragement every time I’m surprised by a donation message in my inbox, but it’s a much bigger encouragement when people write to tell me about how they couldn’t have continued homeschooling without the site. I’m not going to take it away from them.

144 thoughts on “How Can This Be Free?

1. Ndy Aiki January 31, 2017 / 3:59 pm

Thank you! I didnt know what to do with my kids after being misplaced for the season! The heavenly Father lead me to this site and i’m so grateful! Blessings to you and yours!

Homeschooling from Atlanta, GA

2. Mandi Summey February 10, 2017 / 4:14 pm

Thank you for serving the Lord through this website. I asked God to provide me with the resources that I needed to homeschool my children with success. Then one day Easy Peasy showed up and blessed us with a foundation in our school life. I love this site. I also love love love that you want to bless others. I pray that God continues to bless you and your family.
    Thanks from Summey Homeschool NC

3. Christy HARRIS March 31, 2017 / 7:42 pm

I can’t thank you enough for listening to God and making this available. I wont tell you the whole story but it is a God send. Thank you again and again.

4. Kara May 14, 2017 / 3:29 am

What a gift you’ve been given!!! Thank you so much for sharing your hard work and dedication with us all!! We intend to pay it forward when an opportunity arises! Bless you for your humble, generous spirit!! Can’t wait to get started!!!

5. Ruby E. Powell June 22, 2017 / 8:22 pm

Thank you so much for providing this service. I am just starting to homeschool for the first time. My children just completed the 3rd, 5th, and 6th grade in a regular public school. I didn’t think that this year was as productive for them as it should have been. I was led of the Lord to begin to homeschool and as I sought answers on which curriculum to use, I ran across this one on Pinterest and began reading about it. Right now my family is unable to pay a lot of money for school because I was also led by God to leave a very successful administrative position to have more time for ministry work (sounds crazy to some but I believe God will provide exceeding, abundantly above all that we could ask or think according to the power at work in us)! I’m excited about this opportunity and will cheerfully donate to the cause as we can! Thanks you again for this jump start into the homeschooling world.

6. Donisa July 12, 2017 / 1:24 am

God bless you! That’s all i can utter out while being overwhelmed with emotion of reading your testimony. Not only will my three children be using this program for the first time (first time home schoolers and we’re super tight financially!) but you give me hope to TRUST and step outside of the boat. May the Lord keep providing for your family. ❤

7. Terri Andrade July 30, 2017 / 12:25 pm

I agree with every post I’ve read, this course, and you, are a Godsend. My son is bullied terribly at school and I’ve had all my heart can take!

I will be pulling him from public school and using your curriculum. I will also be donating as much as I can.

God bless you and thank you so, so, so much!!

8. T.J. August 22, 2017 / 11:58 pm

I am a homeschooling mom to 6 children. I have been homeschooling my children since my 21-year-old was four years old. We are in a season of life right now where my three older are pursuing running start and college for a future career.I have been homeschooling my children since my 21-year-old was four years old and we are in a season of life right now where my three older children are pursuing running start and college for a future career. This year I finally only have three children home to school and during this season of my life I’m a bit burned out. I have recently found your website and we are on day two of homeschooling using the online program. I just want to thank you for offering a breath of fresh air for me and my family.