How Can This Be Free?

Below is something I posted about six years ago. I wanted to share it with you too. Someone questioned how this site could really be free.

How can this be free?

Part 1 – Stepping out of the boat

Why would I offer this for free? Let me tell you a piece of my story.

My husband and I have served the Lord overseas for more than 10 years. For several years we raised the money that we received monthly from our agency. When we came home on furlough, we spent each weekend in a different church, sharing our stories and hoping for financial support.

In 2008, we felt convicted to leave the system. We didn’t like it being such a business, a job. We thought serving the Lord should be 24/7/365, not a 40-hour week. My husband also felt like he was “unequally yoked” at his job teaching English. He didn’t like that they controlled his time.

So he left his job, and we left our agency. We wrote to all of our supporters and told them to send their money to orphans instead. We stepped out of the boat and onto the water. We were going to trust the Lord to provide, and we were pretty sure we would be tested to see if we really did trust Him.

Part 2 – The Test

We eventually ran out of money, but that’s when the miracles happened. We were trusting God to provide. We knew we were obeying, had always given very generously and had faith that His word was true. The bills were due the next day. A few people still sent us money from time to time, saying that the Lord had prompted them to give. We accepted their gifts. They would give through Paypal, and it would show up in our bank account under “pending balance.” With nothing pending in our bank account, we knew it would be at least three business days before money would be available, even if someone sent something that night.

Before bed, my husband decided to check the bank account one more time. And there it was. Our miracle. $1000 was in our available balance. It said it was a direct deposit. We had told no one of our need. My parents were the only ones with our bank account info, and they were traveling out of the country at the time and had nothing to do with it. $1000 was enough for the whole next month (We lived in a ghetto very cheaply).

Part 3 – The Accidental Blogger

That same year our family learned about lapbooks from a friend of mine. She pointed out one that we got for $1. (This is also how we learned about Currclick.com.) I started designing lapbooks for my kids to make. My kids started designing lapbooks for themselves.

I had always posted family pictures online for our far-away family and friends, and I would post pictures of our lapbooks to show the grandparents what the kids were doing for school. I started getting strangers showing up at my family page to see our lapbooks (Google alerted them). I felt strange having these strangers looking at my family photos, so I separated them and started posting our school pictures on a blog, “Just Us.”

I thought I could earn money by making lapbooks and selling them on Currclick.com.  I sent them a sample and they sent me a contract. Before I signed it, the Lord convicted me. I was impressed to not sell them but to give them away. So I did. Giving away free lapbooks, I started building a following at my homeschool blog.

Part 4 – The Rest of the Story

There’s more of my story between then and now, but I guess that’s for another day. There was never a question of selling this curriculum. The Lord had already turned my heart on that issue, but I was making the site for my own children, and I didn’t want to have this whole curriculum and have only my children use it. I wanted to help others who needed to homeschool for free. From day one I wrote the assignments to be used by anyone, not just my family.

If you’ve been following along, it’s not hard to understand how I got started homeschooling for free. We are no longer in the same situation. My husband now has the perfect job teaching foreign languages to homeschool students online through Currclick.com. He works part time, sets his own hours and he LOVES foreign languages and has fun teaching.

But now I am committed to homeschooling for free. The first year I was putting together the curriculum, no one else was using it. When a few people did start using it, I added the donate button to the site. I knew I was offering something of value and that there would be people who would want to give.

So, hopefully you can see who I am and why I would offer this for free a little better now. I love giving. It makes me happy. I have learned to trust God to provide, so I don’t feel the need to build the curriculum into a business. It’s an encouragement every time I’m surprised by a donation message in my inbox, but it’s a much bigger encouragement when people write to tell me about how they couldn’t have continued homeschooling without the site. I’m not going to take it away from them.

168 thoughts on “How Can This Be Free?

1. Ndy Aiki January 31, 2017 / 3:59 pm

Thank you! I didnt know what to do with my kids after being misplaced for the season! The heavenly Father lead me to this site and i’m so grateful! Blessings to you and yours!

Homeschooling from Atlanta, GA

2. Mandi Summey February 10, 2017 / 4:14 pm

Thank you for serving the Lord through this website. I asked God to provide me with the resources that I needed to homeschool my children with success. Then one day Easy Peasy showed up and blessed us with a foundation in our school life. I love this site. I also love love love that you want to bless others. I pray that God continues to bless you and your family.
    Thanks from Summey Homeschool NC

3. Christy HARRIS March 31, 2017 / 7:42 pm

I can’t thank you enough for listening to God and making this available. I wont tell you the whole story but it is a God send. Thank you again and again.

4. Kara May 14, 2017 / 3:29 am

What a gift you’ve been given!!! Thank you so much for sharing your hard work and dedication with us all!! We intend to pay it forward when an opportunity arises! Bless you for your humble, generous spirit!! Can’t wait to get started!!!

5. Ruby E. Powell June 22, 2017 / 8:22 pm

Thank you so much for providing this service. I am just starting to homeschool for the first time. My children just completed the 3rd, 5th, and 6th grade in a regular public school. I didn’t think that this year was as productive for them as it should have been. I was led of the Lord to begin to homeschool and as I sought answers on which curriculum to use, I ran across this one on Pinterest and began reading about it. Right now my family is unable to pay a lot of money for school because I was also led by God to leave a very successful administrative position to have more time for ministry work (sounds crazy to some but I believe God will provide exceeding, abundantly above all that we could ask or think according to the power at work in us)! I’m excited about this opportunity and will cheerfully donate to the cause as we can! Thanks you again for this jump start into the homeschooling world.

6. Donisa July 12, 2017 / 1:24 am

God bless you! That’s all i can utter out while being overwhelmed with emotion of reading your testimony. Not only will my three children be using this program for the first time (first time home schoolers and we’re super tight financially!) but you give me hope to TRUST and step outside of the boat. May the Lord keep providing for your family. ❤

7. Terri Andrade July 30, 2017 / 12:25 pm

I agree with every post I’ve read, this course, and you, are a Godsend. My son is bullied terribly at school and I’ve had all my heart can take!

I will be pulling him from public school and using your curriculum. I will also be donating as much as I can.

God bless you and thank you so, so, so much!!

8. T.J. August 22, 2017 / 11:58 pm

I am a homeschooling mom to 6 children. I have been homeschooling my children since my 21-year-old was four years old. We are in a season of life right now where my three older are pursuing running start and college for a future career.I have been homeschooling my children since my 21-year-old was four years old and we are in a season of life right now where my three older children are pursuing running start and college for a future career. This year I finally only have three children home to school and during this season of my life I’m a bit burned out. I have recently found your website and we are on day two of homeschooling using the online program. I just want to thank you for offering a breath of fresh air for me and my family.

9. Sabrina Morgan October 29, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Thank you. This message brought me to tears. I have been homeschooling my son but finances have led me to have to return to work. I was able to find a job that I can do from home, but it means less time to spend one on one working with him. It was looking like I would have to send him to conventional school because all the curriculum that allowed him to work semi-independent (he’s 10) from home was so expensive. Then I found this site. This site is answer to my prayers. God does provide, Thank you, thank you, thank you.

10. Melanie January 12, 2018 / 1:12 am

You seem to me to be a modern day George Mueller family! May God continue to bless you as you pour yourself out thanks to the strength Jesus provides.

11. Nicole February 2, 2018 / 4:55 pm

Thank you so much for this Lee. I’ve been praying and I just got my answer. This is beyond amazing and a priceless gift.

12. Amy February 7, 2018 / 7:18 pm

I was moved to tears reading about how the Lord convicted you to offer your curriculum for free. It is always astonishing to me how often He moves in peoples’ lives this way. When my husband left me with 4 young children including a baby less than one year old, He sustained me financially and spiritually, sometimes by my Pastor showing up at my house with money that someone felt moved to give. He is so awesome, and I appreciate so much your witness. God bless.

13. Mindy Leichty March 8, 2018 / 2:49 pm

I LOVE that you have this as a Q&A. I was sitting here going through the “How to” video and asking “How in the world is something this amazing FREE?!” I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this site. I just pulled my 9 year old daughter in January with God’s leading and I wasn’t sure what to do. I was very overwhelmed. Someone mentioned this site to me and I am at such peace about our new journey. Thank you for allowing God to work in your life the way He has! What a blessing you are! ❤

14. Cheryl August 19, 2018 / 3:00 am

I have been schooling at home using a free virtual school. However, it wasn’t “homeschooling”. Just public school at home. Monday we will start using Easy Peasy. Thank you for offering this. I appreciate it being free and thank you for all that you do.

• Stephanie Hawkins September 1, 2018 / 5:55 am

This is exactly what we have experienced. I am so excited to start this curriculum next week!

15. Eds August 29, 2018 / 8:18 am

Thank you for sharing your experience and this awesome homeschool curriculum site. May the Lord continue to bless you abundantly.

16. Stephanie Hawkins September 1, 2018 / 5:54 am

Thank you for blessing our family. We will soon begin using your curriculum.

17. Anesha September 21, 2018 / 2:36 am

Hi, I’m a first time homeschooler and I am very grateful and blessed by your thoughtfulness of others. Your site is a true blessing and life saver. I was so apprehensive about being able to homeschool my 8 year old and pre-schooler but your site is so we’ll organized and user friendly, I can never thank you enough but great is year reward in Heaven. Continued Blessings !

18. mecko138@yahoo.com September 25, 2018 / 2:37 am

Wow! What an amazing Story! Our current situation kinda matches the start of your story… among the storm I was called to homeschool my child. So while the bills are “due the next day’ situation still roared loudly I pulled my daughter from the school to home school her. It has been a bumpy ride these last few weeks but I am pretty excited to see how your curriculum can help us have a successful year of homeschooling.

19. LaTaiya Sells October 18, 2018 / 2:52 am

I want to thank you for being obedient to the Lord. My daughter was having trouble in school. They would send her home almost everyday. I found out that she was ADHD. So we started her on medicine after we decided to take hey out of public school. It’s still a bit of a struggle, but God is helping us through it. I started off using k12 but it was not what I thought it was. It was actually public school at home. We would stay up till about 2 or 3 in the morning trying to get all her work in on time. I love love love easypeasy because we can go at our own pace and choose what we want to learn. And most of all it’s free. My husband and myself are not working right now so this is helping out a lot. My son just turned 5 this year, but we started using your site for him when he was 4. I was so happy to see that he was able to learn a lot through this website. He and my daughter are doing so great. I also believe my son has ADHD as well. Again I want to thank you for doing this because you are truly a blessing. May God continue to bless you and your family

20. Sarah December 11, 2018 / 2:19 am

Thank you. 🙂

21. Brittaney February 12, 2019 / 5:56 pm

Can’t express in words how BLESSED we are to have found this curriculum! We previously spent $$$’s on a big box curriculum that took hours of prep and was not well suited to the learning style of my first daughter. After adding a few more kids to the mix I quickly realized it just wasn’t going to work if I was going to homeschool all the kids. I wouldn’t have enough time in the day, not to mention the cost! Plus we were both frustrated to tears all too often trying to get all the assignments done each day because we just weren’t enjoying the curriculum.

Since switching to EP last year my 10 year old has gone from grumbling and complaining about school to opening the laptop and getting started on her own as soon as she wakes up! She loves that its not all sitting at the table doing workbooks and listening to me talk. LoL She thoroughly enjoys all the extra activities, games, and hands on opportunities. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I no longer have to sit beside her the entire school day to keep her focused and on track. As a resul I have been able to start EP with my 4 and 6 year olds as well. They too love it, and my 6 year old is learning to read SO much quicker than my oldest did with this method! She loves the McGuffey Primer! Thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

22. Heather Wynn February 15, 2019 / 7:59 pm

This is quite literally an answer to prayer. For the first time, I have been convicted of a horrible spending problem. I am trying to genuinely repent and obey the Lord, allowing Him to meet all of our needs intead of me meeting them myself (with a credit card and massive debt). I know I am called to homeschool my children but cannot afford the cost of Christian based curriculum. I was specifically praying about this need when the Lord put on my heart to look for free Christian based online schooling. I didn’t even believe that was a possibility. But, I went online and started searching. The Lord led me straight to you. I am beyond amazed. I can’t even. Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart. This is a blessing from the Lord that cannot be measured. Thank you.

• Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool February 15, 2019 / 9:06 pm

A lot of people’s EP stories begin with, “I was praying…” We do believe with you that the Lord led you to us. He will meet all of your needs. We firmly believe that here. We’re happy to be a part of His work in that. 🙂

23. Anna Harris February 21, 2019 / 3:38 am

My husband and I are in full time ministry. We moved 14 hours away from family (A big step for us)… We found our kids were being bullied and it has been very difficult. My heart aches for them. We were able to put our son in a k12 program right away but our daughter wanted to stick it out… It had gotten worse and to the point where we couldn’t send her anymore. It was like dropping her off and literally handing her to the enemy. I was relieved when I found your site in the middle of night while i was literally weeping asking God what to do.

I cannot thank you enough for your leap of faith, its really helped me take mine. I feel very under qualified to do this, but I know that I can do all things through Christ who is my strength and so here we go. Thank you so much.

24. Dawn August 1, 2019 / 2:12 am

I can’t possibly thank you enough for this online curriculum. I’ve felt overwhelmed in past years, but everything we need, all in one spot, perfectly laid out, has made our lives so much less frustrating and made our school days much more enjoyable. I always dread paying for school supplies. They get so expensive, and this has made is a lot more comfortable. I truly appreciate this website. Thank you so much!

25. Stephanie Maxheimer August 13, 2019 / 9:45 am

I can’t thank you enough for providing this invaluable online curriculum . I have struggled the past few years ( and my daughter) to find a curriculum that works for both of us. It has been so stressful that I feared we both grew to dislike homeschool . I was overwhelmed with the feeling that I wasn’t providing enough educational material to her and that she was going to be “behind” and never catch up. I was exhausted, overwhelmed, discouraged and more, you and the Lord have saved us! She loves your program and so do I! Thank you so, so, so MUCH!

26. Sempai Mama August 13, 2019 / 10:26 am

Wow! I have been looking desperately something for my little one, so we both; as I say: *learn together.* It has been really hard so many sites, so much information on the matter. I have been trying alone and giving classes and/or information I think is valuable and it has been overwhelming, over all I want my child to love God above all things. Will definitely try this. I thank and give the glory to God that has lead me see this and thank you for this encouraging words.

27. Michael & Shan'e Williams August 31, 2019 / 6:55 pm

Thank you so much for being a blessing. My wife and I have been considering this for quite some time and when she came upon this site, we were both very impressed.

28. Doris Gonzalez October 23, 2019 / 11:48 pm

Hello from Honduras C.A. Thank you so much! It’s a big blessing read your blog. Thank you for share. We are a missionary family, with no much money, thank you so much for share. You are a blessing!