Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool

A complete, free online Christian homeschool for your family and mine

Common Core Standards

with 104 comments

Post updated: 2/27/14

I got an email alerting me that, “In another facebook group there are a few women in there who keep bashing EP because the resources are supposedly “aligning” with common core.”  I’ve also been told that my name is being used in anti-common core groups saying that I am “spreading poison.” I have read lies that people have been spreading about what I include in the curriculum.

I’m against the Common Core in general. This curriculum is not aligned with CC. Those speaking against me are saying this because there are resources on EP that are aligned to the common core curriculum, specifically sites such as Khan Academy and Georgia Virtual Learning. Every academic site meets some of the CC standards. If you teach your child to read, you are meeting a standard. If you teach your child to add, you are meeting a standard. If you allow your child to listen to an alphabet song on Starfall.com, he is playing with “aligned” curriculum. I use Khan Academy in one of my math courses. That course is the same course it was from before Khan Academy aligned their curriculum with the CC. When Khan changed something, I just added in a different resource.

Just please know that I am against these standards in terms of the government trying to dictate what our children learn and trying to mold our children’s worldview. I want to mold my children myself to have a biblical worldview. I do link to a billion sites, as you know. I know that some of them are aligned to those standards, but I linked to specific pages for specific purposes. Two plus two still equals four even if it’s on a school website aligned to the CC.

My own children use Easy Peasy and I want them learning TRUTH. I have been working on the high school site. I am very aware of all this as I decide on content. I do use sites that are aligned to the CC. In one course I show the students propaganda in course materials. In another course students are shown two opposing historical viewpoints. This is not spreading poison. It’s teaching truth. It’s helping our kids be innocent as doves but shrewd as snakes.

So hopefully I’m clear. If you hear “bashing” of EP, please don’t allow them to scare you. Think and choose for yourself. If you decide that you won’t use any website that is aligned with CC, then EP is not for you. If you do use EP and ever come across specific content that I use that you think is questionable, please contact me and it will be looked into right away. We have thousands of eyes and ears that can work together to protect our children.

Written by Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool

April 18, 2013 at 9:39 am

Posted in Uncategorized

104 Responses

1. Praise GOD for you and your wonderful site whom the Lord led me to. I have been so blessed by your hard work and dedication, all I can say is thank GOD for you, I am able to homeschool my children free of charge and teach them our faith in our Lord JESUS Christ.

Maria Kenedy

May 6, 2014 at 11:21 pm

2. A friend told me about your site! PRAISE GOD! I have 3 children, grades 10, 6, and 4. Just had one question. If my children use this curriculum, will they be able to receive a diploma?

Angela Anderson

June 20, 2014 at 9:15 pm

• Since this is a curriculum not a school you are your children’s teacher and administrator. So you can give your childreb their diploma’s and you will do your children’s transcripts.
      JR/LG

3. I am interested in getting my 4.5 year old enrolled in EP–how do I go about that–I see no email address to contact you with , just blog posts.
    He will not potty train, and I also want him having a Biblical worldview–THANK YOU for having this available for my family and other families who wish for the same thing for their family!!

My name is Gretchen and I am in MPLS, MN.
    Thank you–waiting to hear from you!

Gretchen Schulz

June 29, 2014 at 6:16 pm

• Your email address didn’t work. You don’t enroll in EP. You just click on Getting Ready 1 on the right hand side of the page, if you are starting at the beginning, and just follow the directions.

4. Thank you for shamelessly including your stance on this important issue. This is further confirmation that I’m in the right place!

April C

July 4, 2014 at 12:32 am

5. I just want to say thank you for creating the curriculum. I know it took time for you to do this for us as well as teaching your own children. Thank you for taking a stance against what you believe! I admire you for that and I am so glad that we think along the same terms. I am excite to start my oldest in K5 this year with EP!

Julia C

July 11, 2014 at 1:41 pm

6. NH I believe requires testing by a teacher every year. I think NH has many stipulation to home schooling. I have tried to read them but there is much information to follow. I can home school but I have to hire some one ( teacher) to come in and test my child. I still feel like she will not learn info at her pace and learning style. Do you have known info about homeschooling i
    n NH.

chery

July 14, 2014 at 11:43 pm

7. Hello, you are GOD sent!!! I’m at the stage were its the first day of school and already getting the run around … I don’t want to go thru it again . I’m willing to step up to the plate and get my son the best education I can with my LORD being involved every step of the way… I have looked over the site I have no problems there I just want yo make sure when I send my letter of intent to open the homeschool for my son in Nortg Carlina will I be able to use your curriculum ? Please email me… I’m sending for my diploma soon as I get that I’m sending the intent. Once I get that letter back Im withdrawing him . I have found his school online and just wanted to touch basis with you to make sure he will be good… Thank you so much and I will spread the word an most def plant a seed. I see where your going and it’s righteous !!! Just started a job, jlyn.

Jlyn

August 25, 2014 at 11:35 pm

8. I’m new to homeschooling and am very impressed with what I have seen and read so far. We are entering homeschooling at the 8th and 12th grade levels due to the negative social influences on my kids. Our state of IL is just adopting CC. I don’t like CC simply because of the way it functions and the because it puts students at a disadvantage. I’ve attended many parent meetings based on CC, and it is my understanding that CC is designed to get our students’ learning up to par with the rest of the world, as the USA is behind. That is a positive, but the negatives are that the school systems don’t know how to fill in the gaps to get the average student up to the CC level. I actually learned that it may take several years for students to actually be able to learn at their CC grade level and that most students are currently behind. This was alarming to me since I have one student who has always struggled to make their grades and has needed assistance while the other excels. We found that with the implementation of CC, teachers are doing less and expecting student to help and teach one another without much teacher interaction at all. The irony in this is that if the school distinct admits that all of the children are behind, then how can they possibly lead each other ahead? I came to find that one of our children was completely dependent on their peers for help and was denied by the tac hers except to come in after school, while the other who excelled felt flustered with being responsible to lead a group of other students in their learning. In addition, at one grade level, they were required to turn in assignments while at the higher level they were given assignments and expected to complete them, but weren’t held to completing them because they weren’t being graded are taken except for random, select assignments to be reviewed, as a determination as to the student’s progress. The children’s actual grades are based upon testing, and if their testing was poor, they were re-taught a lesson after school and then retested again. While to CC this seems like a good standard, it is not.

With all of this being said, it is not the curriculum that is lacking with CC. It is actually ahead of the game. The problem is with class sizes and the method of teaching CC.

Please be kind to one another, as The Lord calls us to love all, even our enemies. We should support one another and rebuke gracefully, not harshly. May everyone have a fantastic and blessed school year, no matter your method. May God be at the forefront and center of all of it, and may we humble ourselves in order to hear His voice and direction.

God bless!

Momma of 5

August 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm

9. This is a Blessing to come immediately to this site! I prayed for guidance on non common core material and today I was brought here.I recognize this as what it is ,a blessing.Thank you for your awesome work.

ruth

September 5, 2014 at 2:51 pm

10. Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was super long)
    so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.

I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m
    still new to everything. Do you have any points for first-time
    blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.

Clark

September 12, 2014 at 10:56 pm

11. Thank you EP. This is my second year homeschooling. Last year when I was looking for info about what materials to use, I came across your website. WHAT A HUGE BLESSING!!!!! I have “5” kids, two in second grade and two in preschoo, one is a newbornl. So, this site is wonderful! Very easy to follow! My children love the site. My husband and I decided we should homeschool because we want control over what our kids are taught. We want them taught Godly and biblical principles, and not CC. I do know a few sites are common core based, so we check them out before our kids view it. Also, financially, this a GREAT BLESSING! I had looked into other homeschool sites before this one. We do not have $600-$800 to dish out for materials. To sum it up, our family loves EP! Thank you for all the hard work to upkeep and develop this site.

Kelly