Skip to content
- Genesis 1:1 beresheet bara Elohim et hashaMYim ve et haAHretz In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
- If you are interested in what I just said, maybe you’d be interested in our Biblical Hebrew course, which is not taught by me.
- But today’s lesson is about the verse, not the Hebrew. In the last lesson we talked about before the beginning. Now we’re at the beginning. The first thing God does is speak and create light. God speaks things into being. He spoke you into being.
- A definition of light is moving energy. Light or energy is what gives us life on earth. It warms us and feeds us. There is only death apart from light. And this light energy cannot be created by man. All of the energy needed to sustain life on earth was created in one instant. It was and is. There is no more or less energy in the universe today than when the earth was created. It is in us and through us and holds all things together. Our cells have energy. It’s how we are alive.
- And then God spoke into being the universe and the earth and the water and the sun and moon and the life that would be sustained by that energy, the plants and animals. He spoke and it was. With one word God can bring life from death. With one word God can take chaos and turn it into order. With one word God can create something we couldn’t even imagine. It only takes a word, an instant. Never look at something or someone as being hopeless. It only takes one word from God for everything to change.