Opposite numbers are two different numbers that have the same absolute value. For example, 4 and -4 are opposites because |4| = 4 and |-4| = 4.
More about opposite numbers:
- When opposite numbers are added, the sum is zero.
- To get the opposite of a number, change the sign.
- The absolute values of opposite numbers are the same.
- Opposite numbers are equidistant from 0 on a number line.
Examples of opposite numbers:
- 10 and -10 are opposite numbers.
- -4 is the opposite of 4
- 0 is the opposite of 0
- The opposite of negative 3 is 3: -(-3) = 3
Opposites come in handy because when added together we get 0. When you solve equations like x + 2 = 3, you are trying to get that extra number to disappear so that the variable is by itself. How do you do that? You add the opposite.