Skip to content
- Psalm 85:2 “You have forgiven the iniquity of Your people; You have covered all their sin.
- This is how God “overlooks” sin. He can’t ignore sin. If He wants to not see it, He has to either turn His face away or cover over it.
- We don’t want God to look away from us. Think of the blessing where we ask God to turn His face toward us and give us peace. We want God to look at us! We want His watchful eye. So, we need our sin covered.
- The blood of Jesus is our sin covering. Not just covered, but washed away. We are cleansed from our past sin and our unintentional sins and sins of ignorance. We need to not be walking in conscious sin. If we are flaunting our sin in God’s face, He won’t be able to ignore it. To get our sins covered, they need to be confessed. We need to repent.
- Here’s a faith verse to hold onto, the beginning of Psalm 85:8. “I will hear what God the Lord will speak.”
- David wrote Psalm 86. He knows his God. He relies on what He knows about God. He puts His faith in God’s character. He knows that God is good. He knows that God is ready to forgive. He knows God is compassionate. He knows God is patient. He knows God is gracious and true. He knows that He shows mercy in abundance to all who call on Him. That when he is in trouble, he will be able to call on God and God will answer.
- Do you have that faith in who God is and who He is to you?
- Psalm 87 is very short. It talks of Zion, Jerusalem. It talks of our springs being in her and our being born there. If you are born of God, you are born as a child of Zion. You become a true Israelite in whom there is no deceit (John 1:47). Our life is from her. From our Source comes springs of living water that do not fail (Isaiah 58:11).