Skip to content
- Look at this drawing of a sphere.
- The lightest part on the sphere is called the highlight. The highlight is actually a reflection of the light that is shining on the sphere.
- The part of the sphere that is between the darkest part and the lightest part is called the middletone.
- The darkest part on the sphere is called the core shadow.
- The shadow that the sphere makes on the table is called the cast shadow.
- Light is reflecting off the table and onto the bottom of the sphere. This light is called reflected light.
- Some of the reflected light on the sphere is reflecting back off the sphere into the shadow. This is called double-reflected light.
- Look for the highlight, middletone, core shadow, reflected light, cast shadow, and double-reflected light in this photograph.