Lee’s Life Update

I have always been vague about where we lived overseas and what our family did. I still don’t want to put too much online, but I do want to share what’s going on with my family right now as things are kind of topsy-turvy for us.

Until this summer my family had been living in southeast Turkey near the Syrian border. I’ve actually seen ISIS members. They recruited in our neighborhood. Our city faced the brunt of the influx of refugees from Syria to the point where now a quarter of the city is refugees. We ended up being support to a school for Syrian refugees and my husband discipled Syrian, Afghan, and Iranian pastors leading fellowships in the city.

This spring we found out that our residence permits were not going to be renewed to continue living anywhere in that region of Turkey. As we had felt called specifically to that city and not to Turkey in general, we didn’t feel right just choosing another city in Turkey to live in. We sought the Lord as a family and two weeks later found ourselves moving to eastern Germany, really east, like a stone’s throw from Poland, or as they say here, a cat’s leap.

We moved in with a family who had been strangers before we arrived. We were at their home for six weeks until we moved into our apartment just this August. Yes, we just moved in. When we went to apply for our residence permit in Germany, we were met with a letter saying our application would be denied unless we enrolled our children in school. They had been told by a German friend of ours that we would be homeschooling. (He had been trying to be helpful.) The Lord has not changed our minds on homeschooling, and so we began speaking with this official and that official and sending letters, etc. In the end we were not given permission to homeschool, and we have to leave. We’ve only been in our apartment for less than a month. This weekend my husband will leave with my two oldest to find our next home, and I will be traveling by plane a week later with the youngest four children.

Where are we going? We are headed to Macedonia. It’s the first foreign country the Lord brought us to years ago. We were there for 6 years, living and working among the Roma, better known as Gypsies. I love Macedonia, and I have not been for a visit since 2008. We are allowed to stay three months there without a visa before we either need to get permission to live there or get out.

We do plan on coming back to Germany in three months (we can re-enter after being out 90 days) and will keep doing the work we’ve begun here and we’ll see what comes of it. We have friends here who will continue to seek an exemption for us to homeschool. We don’t know what God’s plan is for all of this.

Please be praying for me and my family through all the transition. I love being home, so it’s hard for me to not have a place to settle into.

149 thoughts on “Lee’s Life Update

1. Leah hucks August 24, 2015 / 1:14 pm

As we sit and use all your hard work for our own homeschooling, we will be praying for you and the ministry God has you in. Praying for provision and safety.

2. Rosemary stolle August 24, 2015 / 1:15 pm

Sending prayers for your family

3. Summer August 24, 2015 / 1:15 pm

Praying.

4. betsyzenz August 24, 2015 / 1:22 pm

Lee, thank you for sharing your update. My three daughters and I just started using your excellent curriculum and we love it! We are thankful for you and your family, and we will be praying for you during this significant transition.

• Mindy August 28, 2015 / 9:40 pm

These are my feelings as well. I have just started using this site with my two sons, and it is so wonderful. Thank you for all you have done here, and all you are doing in other countries! God Bless!

5. dee August 24, 2015 / 1:23 pm

My family will pray and stand in agreement with your family.

6. lmariebyrd August 24, 2015 / 1:27 pm

We will be praying for you and your family during this transition in your lives! May God continue to protect and bless you.

• yasmine February 17, 2016 / 3:48 pm

my family We will be praying for you and your family .

7. Trisha Wichlaz August 24, 2015 / 1:28 pm

Sending out prayers and if you don’t mind is like to add you to our missions and missionary prayer list at church !

Regards
    Trisha Wichlaz
    – from my iPhone

• Cecilia Morris October 4, 2015 / 5:11 am

Thank you so much for sharing. This is my first year doing EP, thank you for give us the opportunity of doing this curriculum God bless you for that. I will be praying for you and your family.. Thanks a lot for all your help

8. Tam August 24, 2015 / 1:30 pm

I will certainly pray for you. God bless you and keep you.

9. Rachel August 24, 2015 / 1:30 pm

Please be careful in Germeny Lee! They can be hostile to homeschoolers and just Christians in general. My family wil be praying for you

• Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool August 24, 2015 / 1:38 pm

They can be hostile to any foreigners as well. But we have met wonderful Christians and there’s even a German woman translating EP’s Learn to Read book. She’s homeschooling until the compulsory age. There are others who live just over the border in order to homeschool. Who knows, maybe we can help them with materials somehow too?

10. Tamara R August 24, 2015 / 1:37 pm

We are praying for you here in North Carolina. I will put some prayer requests in my church groups and church for more prayers.

11. Heather Baxter August 24, 2015 / 1:38 pm

Praying for you and your family to be able to do God’s mighty work which includes homeschooling your kiddos! God has a plan and though we all may not know the why at the time…someday the why will be shown to us and we can rejoice in it. Keep up the Godly fight!

12. tracydelahuerta August 24, 2015 / 1:39 pm

Thank you for sharing it makes me very grateful that I have the freedom to homeschool. I will be keeping you and your family in prayer.
    So grateful we have a loving Heavenly Father who never leaves us or forsakes us. He established our footsteps. I pray He opens doors that can’t be opened and closed the ones no man can shut. I pray He continue to bless you and your family mightily, in Jesus name. Amen

13. Shirley Gray August 24, 2015 / 1:40 pm

I will be praying for you and your family, and thanks for all of your work it helps so many people. May God keep and protect your family.

14. Erika August 24, 2015 / 1:45 pm

Lee, we are so thankful for your curriculum. It was an answer to many prayers. We are missionaries in NE Brazil and do not have access to books, etc unless a kind person comes to visit from US. It took us 6 months and 7 moves to settle in a home for more than a few months. We also have 6 children and I feel your concerns and hardships most deeply. May God continue to strengthen you and bless you richly for the obedient sacrifices you and your family makes. We are lifting you up.

15. tracydelahuerta August 24, 2015 / 1:49 pm

Thank you for sharing your life with us. We will be praying for you all.
    I just started homeschooling my 13 year old two weeks ago with this curriculum and I absolutely love it.
    I pray or Abba Father ,our great and mighty God make a way where there is no way. I pray He would continue to guide your footsteps and blessed you all mightily. That He would open doors no man can open and close those no man can shut. That He will be the soft voice encouraging and guiding you. I pray that He will be your protection. I thank you Gather that you complete the good works you started. I thank you and praise you in advance. In Jesus name Amen

• tracydelahuerta August 24, 2015 / 1:51 pm

I meant open doors no man can close and close doors no man can open. Lol.

16. brendaob6 August 24, 2015 / 1:52 pm

Dear Lee, I will definitely be praying for safety and God’s will for you and your family. I pray that you also will not have to give up the blessing of homeschooling your family. Thank you for all that you are doing for so many families, including my own, to allow us this wonderful curriculum. God speed on continuing your work where the Lord leads. In Christ love, Brenda

17. VanessaxGrace August 24, 2015 / 1:55 pm

Praying Numbers 6:24-26 over you and your family. May His grace comfort and keep you while you wait for the open door!

In His Love,
    Vanessa Harris

18. Kathy Berger August 24, 2015 / 1:55 pm

Ah our Heavenly Father sees it all! He has a great and mighty plan and your lives are bearing much fruit for Him, His Kingdom and all our families because of your obedience. May your family be strengthened and protected during these uncertainties. And may the doors swing wide open for where your home-making, home-schooling, home-loving feet shall be planted! I declare and decree in Jesus’ name that you will prosper…abundantly more than you could ask or imagine! Thank you for always putting others before yourself! For Him, Kathy in GA

19. Mandy August 24, 2015 / 1:59 pm

I cannot imagine what you are going through. Trust in the Lord. He will be with you. He promises that.

20. Debra August 24, 2015 / 2:01 pm

Lee,
    I pray that your every need is met and you are surrounded by God’s protection, peace, love and grace. The Lord Bless and keep you…Numbers 6:24-26.

21. Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool August 24, 2015 / 2:05 pm

Thank you, everyone. It means so much. I’m sitting here crying reading through your comments and prayers of encouragement. Don’t stop praying. 🙂

22. Tamara C August 24, 2015 / 2:12 pm

I’m so glad to be a part of this ministry, in a small way, every month. If you need anything, will you let us know? Our family is praying for you and yours.

• Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool August 24, 2015 / 2:27 pm

Need anything? Ha! We need everything. Mostly we need the Lord to come through in a BIG way on many, many front. The good thing is that the Lord is faithful. 🙂

23. renemccarty August 24, 2015 / 2:18 pm

Oh my goodness! I cannot fathom what you all are experiencing right now, but I am so grateful for His protection, especially from ISIS. I am praying right now!

24. Tara August 24, 2015 / 2:19 pm

I really hope it all works out for you and your family! Your teachings helped me get through my first year homeschooling, and my daughter thrived! My thoughts are with you ❤️

25. Brooke August 24, 2015 / 2:23 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I always say that everything happens for a reason and there may be a reason you are to be where you are for now. The lord knows our needs and our wants but the power of prayer is above all. Your journey is in his hands. Trust in him and he will lead you. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

26. Kim August 24, 2015 / 2:30 pm

I adore your love for homeschooling. Such an adventure for your family. I totally understand needing a home…..I’m a homebody, so is my son. My family will be praying for your family, peace, wisdom and protection. Enjoy the adventuring while you can, an extended fieldtrip!

27. Paola August 24, 2015 / 2:35 pm

Lee,
    I just want to let you I’m going to keep you in my prayers so you and your family could adapt to all the changes and you are facing right now. Also, that you give grace to each other while adapting to all these sort of new places, culture and people. I know a little bit how you feel. We lived in a garage room the five of us for four months in the another missionaries’ home, with our belongings in a storage room and some clothes in our suitcases. Adapting to being uncomforted, new routines, culture and place was not easy at all.

28. Dulice August 24, 2015 / 2:50 pm

Oh Lee! I am so sorry to read this. I unfortunately can relate to a life in total flux as we have been at it in the US for over 3 years now. I am desperately looking forward to planting our roots and setteling down so that not only can I begin to thrive again but for now we have to trust in our Fathers plan for us. I will have you and your sweet family in our prayers! You are a blessing in our lives! ❤

29. Christina August 24, 2015 / 2:55 pm

My family will be praying for yours! We are so blessed by your efforts with easy peasy and so thankful for this Avenue to homeschool. Praying your transitions are quick and smooth.

30. Luisa August 24, 2015 / 3:00 pm

Praying for you!!! God bless you !!!
    We are a family of 4 doing homeschooling in Japan and I just began to use your curriculum with my little ones… I just read what you shared and knelt down to Jesus to pray for you family…
    Everything will be all right … Yo know …. HE IS FAITHFUL!!!
    Luisa

31. al August 24, 2015 / 3:01 pm

Bless you and your family. We are new preschoolers and very excited. We truly appreciate all you have done for this cause and the struggles you endure. Sending many prayers for a safe journey now and in the future.

32. katy August 24, 2015 / 3:02 pm

Just found your site and it is an answer to prayer. My husband is a pastor and I home school four of our five children. With tow now in high school, I needed more guidance to make sure they were getting what they needed. Your site will help us so much. We will definitely be praying for you, you family and what God is doing in your ministry!

33. hallfamilyschool August 24, 2015 / 3:19 pm

Praying for you, & your family in this difficult time. I thank the Lord for all you do for us moms who also homeschool.

34. Cheryl August 24, 2015 / 3:22 pm

Prayers for your family!

35. Camille August 24, 2015 / 3:56 pm

You and your family have brought a huge blessing, amazing resources and much needed encouragement to our homeschooling family. You and your family are in our prayers.

36. Susan August 24, 2015 / 4:00 pm

My family and I will be praying for all of you.

37. Cindy LeClercq August 24, 2015 / 4:06 pm

Prayers for God’s protection and blessings!!

38. Kaelyn R. August 24, 2015 / 4:10 pm

I, like many others, feel unbelievably blessed by your curriculum and am so grateful for all you have done for others. I don’t know you at all and already know you have a heart after the Lord’s own. You sharing this tiny bit of your story has inspired me so much today! I needed this! I came online to get organized and print out everything I needed for the next couple of weeks (a task I was dreading as I’m a bit ADD and struggle with the admin part of schooling). My family also has been dealing with 5 years of a very chaotic life on many levels, although on a totally different front. The past couple of months I have been seeking the Lord as much as I ever have, being disciplined and intentional in my time with Him and my emotional/mental state seems to only be getting more chaotic, even though things around seem pretty calm for the first time in a long while giving the circumstances. In a weird way the peek into your own “chaos” spoke to me (along with the chapter of Ransom for Many I just finished which spoke of Jesus’ divine ability to calm any and EVERY chaos in our lives). It was just a bit of confirmation in what He’s speaking to me. “With God all things are possible” and He has already overcome this world!! We will be praying (and I mean that!) for peace in your chaos and for you all to see His face through everything! Thank you so much for all you have given to others. Whether intentionally or not.

39. Tiffany August 24, 2015 / 4:34 pm

We stumbled upon your site the week we started school. (This is our 2nd year of homeschooling.) I scratched my original plan, and we are now using your site as our backbone!! we LOVE this site and all you offer!! I can’t believe that you can still do this with all the struggles you are facing! You have been such a blessing in my life, alleviating so much stress & helping me to plan our curriculum! Thank you so much for all of your time & hard work!! Your family will be in our prayers!!

40. Esther van Niekerk August 24, 2015 / 4:36 pm

Hi there

I didn’t know you guys left Turkey…. But we are here in Macedonia. Would be great to meet up with you. Or to help you in any way we can. We have not been here for long but who knows maybe we can help in some way. Let me know… Otherwise it will be great to finally meet you after emailing each other for the past 4 years.

Regards Esther

41. kristih526 August 24, 2015 / 4:40 pm

Prayers for your family! I commit to pray fervently for your situation. And thank you for the amazing gift you give to families via your free curriculum. My son was so defeated in public school and diagnosed autistic. We started homeschooling last year using EP which was all we could afford and he is a different person. He began 7th grade today with excitement instead of agony for the first time. People recently commented about him having a new personality and seeming less stressed and having the gleam back in his eyes. Thank you for the opportunity you have provided that we were able to homeschool when it otherwise may not have been possible. You are truly a blessing to our family!

42. Robyn Allison August 24, 2015 / 4:43 pm

God bless you and your family! You are most definitely in our prayers.

43. Rebecca August 24, 2015 / 4:50 pm

We have been using your site for a year now! Thank you so much for all the had work you have put in to this! My children and I love all of it. We decided as a family after much prayer, that homeschool was the right thing for us, and we were brought to your site! We are so thankful for you and your family and your dedication to homeschool families! We will pray for you and your family to continue to stay safe in your travels and that God will reveal His plan to you

44. The Crump Family August 24, 2015 / 5:19 pm

Our family is lifting yours up in prayer. Praying that God will open all of the doors that need to be opened, that He will bring your family peace and calm even though everything seems chaotic, that He will provide for each of your needs, and most of all the He will provide you with the protection and guidance you need as you continue to be His witness.

45. Blessedmomma August 24, 2015 / 5:26 pm

Our family is praying and will continue to pray daily for your family. You are doing amazing things for our Lord! I encourage you in your efforts as you follow the path our Heavenly Father has set before you. March on Christian soldier!

46. Kathy Sapinoro August 24, 2015 / 5:26 pm

Lee, you and your family are amazing! What you have created, shared and endured for the benefit of so many others is unbelievably selfless. I cannot even begin to imagine those kinds of hardships. You are such a blessing! I read your post to my children who have been using your curriculum. We will be praying for you and your family. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your servant’s hearts.

47. alexismccabe August 24, 2015 / 5:35 pm

Wow Lee. When you mentioned ISIS my heart jumped in my throat.

I was curious about Germany and the homeschooling issue when you first mentioned moving there.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

48. Rebecca August 24, 2015 / 5:41 pm

Thank you for sharing your situation. The children and I pray for missionaries we know in the morning after breakfast. We will be praying for you in the months to come! May God give you a spirit of peace while you are in transition.

49. Gina August 24, 2015 / 5:51 pm

You are amazing! I know the Lord will guide you whether you are in Germany or elsewhere. Continue your greatness, Lee! You and your family are in my prayers.

50. Jenifer Cabaniss August 24, 2015 / 6:09 pm

Wow! Praying for the Lord’s mighty angels to protect your family and for the Holy Spirit to continue leading you in the direction that He has for you. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, practical resources, insights, wisdom and discipline to all of us with your wonderful home school curriculum. You are a blessing to me and my three little boys.