Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool

A complete, free online Christian homeschool for your family and mine

Transcript, Grades, Records

with 11 comments

Today I wanted to talk about transcripts, grades and records. On EP’s high school page I posted a sample transcript from Lee Binz and a transcript template I created based on the sample. I also have posted a sample course record.

For every course on your transcript, you should have a record page with the course description, a list of learning materials used for the course, a description of the criteria used for grading. You should also keep a sample of work from that course, which can just be photographs of your children doing what they do. These records are what make your “A” meaningful. (Lee Binz’s samples are sort of extreme. You can go to her site or watch the recordings to hear her perspective. I posted recordings of her transcript and records webinars.)

As I start working on high school, I will be adding grading guidelines. I will use online quizzes, assignments and rubrics to guide you in giving a grade to your children’s work. You don’t have to use those things. You can come up with your own guidelines, but I am trying to create a credible standard for grading. You can see how I am doing this on the English 8 page.

You don’t need tests though, in order to grade your child. I put my daughter’s art apprenticeship on her transcript. I gave her an A. I then created a record for that “course.” I described the apprenticeship, what she did, what she learned, what hours she put in and gave criteria for her grade. I listed that she had artwork sold and had her artwork chosen to represent our city in an exhibition.

Maybe you have an academic course without tests or set grading criteria. Maybe your child just has a topic he wants to learn more about. Describe what he did to research, a list of reading and research materials used, and an explanation for the grade you chose. Maybe something like, “Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge and thorough understanding of the subject through a twenty-minute speech (or a research paper or written essays).” Save the speech or an essay or report with the record as proof.

What about grading some of the alternative course examples from the other day? Community theater: You can give an A for “A hundred percent participation, diligence in learning the materials and successful participation in the production. You can take pictures, save a program and/or get a note from the director.

What about home economics? You can award an A for “successfully completing daily assigned tasks and for meeting each course objective by improving in sewing, cooking….”

I hope you can see that you’ll be able to homeschool high school using traditional courses as well as allowing your children to learn the things they love.

Written by Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool

April 22, 2013 at 7:22 am

Posted in Uncategorized

11 Responses

1. You made me a well-equipped soldier!!

Mrs Curtis

April 22, 2013 at 11:41 am

2. Awesome information! Thank you so much for sharing!

Caroline Wilhite

April 29, 2013 at 7:17 pm

3. What will help you delineate grade values is to develop a rubric. Its what we typically use in academia for grading our students. There is a free tool you can use to help you develop one. It helps take subjectivity out grading and is by far more defensible.

That is the one I used to use. Now I keep mine in turnitin since I’ve started using that tool in class for plagiarism checking.

Frank

June 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm

4. Do we have yo turn in certain requirements or logs to the state? Where do we find this info?

Casey

July 3, 2013 at 1:59 am

5. hi. I’m Debbie. Just a quick story. I started homeschooling last 2012. I am homeschooling 4 as of the moment but will eventually homeschool 6 kids. Kinda large family =) I have been looking for curriculum that will best suit my kids.  I have come across your website since day 1 when I decided to homeschool. However, for some reason I have been trying stuffs here and there. I wanted a curriculum that is full fun of fun while learning. At the same time a curriculum that will encourage the love for reading while not putting too much pressure on the kids.To be honest, we’re in a very tight budget and have finally decided to disregard those expensive curricula out there. And I once again, reviewed your website/blog and boom!…”why didn’t I use this since Day 1?” And I so love the concern of everything free on your curriculum =D

Anyway, you’re site I believe would be very helpful for me and my kids. I thought my kids had been always wanting to use our computer so why not maximize it by using your curriculum =). I am actually enjoying it and learning from it.

And I am just so overwhelmed on how you put all these stuffs together. You are one amazing person, well-favored by God and He has been using you through this website.  You are helping a lot of homeschoolers like me.

Thank you so much for the unselfish help you have extended =)

God bless you so much!

By the way, some answers are password protected…can i ask for the password?

Once again…from the Philippines

Debbie

________________________________

Debbie Aramburo

July 3, 2013 at 11:17 am

6. Q: GRADE KEEPING…Are students always directed to record their scores when applicable, or should they assume to do so for each assignment and quiz? And is it the intention for grades to be recorded for each subject?

(Note: I’m prepping for the 8th grade curriculum. So far, it appears a grade log is only introduced for Foreign Language and Grammar/Vocabulary.)

I’d love to see a sample of a completed Excel record, if one is available.

Ailina Willis

August 17, 2013 at 6:22 pm

• They are directed to record their score each time. There is only some sort of grading system for courses that could go on a high school transcript. If you go to the high school site, and click on algebra or oceanography or physics, you can see how I’m filling in the grading sheet for the high school courses.

• “‘Excel’-lent!” Thank you. I especially appreciate the added calculation feature so students can track their grades as they go. I’ll take a peek at the high school grading sheets.

Ailina Willis